Hormones have many different types of chemical nature. Some of them are
1. Steroids- Adrenocortical hormones, sex hormones and dihydroxycholecalceferol.
2. Peptides and proteins- Insulin, parathyroid hormone, antidiuretic hormones (ADH), glucagon, adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH), beta lipotropin, MSH, endorphins, oxytocin, thyrotropin releasing hormone (TRH); growth hormone, prolactin and chorionic sommatotropin.
3. Glycoprotein- Thyroid stimulating hormones (TSH), follicular stimulating hormone (FSH), luteinizing hormone (LH), human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG)
4. Amino acid derivatives- Catecholamines and thyroid hormones are derived from amino acid tyrosine.
5. Some local hormones are derived from lipids: prostaglandins from arachidonicacid which is derived from essential fatty acid linoleic acid.